Full Text Search
Full Text Search (FTS) lets you create, manage, and query specially purposed indexes, defined on JSON documents within a Couchbase bucket.
What is Full Text Search?
Full Text Search provides extensive capabilities for natural-language querying: this allows special search-constraints to be applied to text-queries. Results can be scored, to indicate match-relevancy; and result-sets ordered correspondingly. Conjunctive and disjunctive searches can be performed, whereby common result-subsets from multiple queries can either be returned or omitted.
A full overview of Full Text Search is provided in Full Text Search: Fundamentals. This includes information on the principal features of Couchbase Full Text Search, its architecture, and the latest feature-additions. Other information-sources include:
- Performing Searches: An explanation of the steps required to prepare for and perform Full Text Search.
- Searching from the UI: A brief introduction to the Full Text Search user interface provided by the Couchbase Web Console, with a step-by-step example of how to create a simple Full Text Index, and perform a search on it.
- Searching with the REST API: Basic examples of how Full Text Search is performed with REST, and pointers to more complex examples.
- Creating Indexes: A full description of the index-creation facility provided by the Couchbase Web Console, with explanations of each component to be used, and illustrations of how indexes can be designed to include specific subsets of documents and their fields.
- Understanding Analyzers: An explanation of analyzers, which are used to process the text to be included in Full Text Indexes.
- Queries: A detailed account of available query types, response objects, and result-sorting options.
Performing Full Text Search from the SDK
Each language supported by the Couchbase SDK provides an API for the support of Full Text Search querying. For detailed information, see the page for your language of choice.
A detailed example of performing Full Text Search queries from the Java SDK is provided in Searching from the SDK.
Note that to access Full Text Search, users require appropriate roles. The role FTS Admin must therefore be assigned to those who intend to create indexes; and the role FTS Searcher to those who intend to perform searches. For information on creating users and assigning roles, see Authorization.