Upgrading one node
To upgrade a single Couchbase Server node, first back it up and then install the software.
Steps for upgrading a Couchbase Server node explained in this section are identical for an online upgrade (for a node that has been removed from the cluster) or an offline upgrade (for a node that has not yet been added to the cluster).
- Download Couchbase Server software.
- Back up data for that server. To back up an existing Couchbase Server installation, use cbbackup .
- Back up the server-specific configuration files. While the upgrade scripts perform a backup of the configuration and data files, make your own backup of these files as the best practices rule.
- Stop Couchbase Server instance.
- Check your host name configuration. If you have deployed Couchbase Server in a cloud service, or if you are using hostnames rather than IP addresses, you must verify that the hostname has been configured correctly before performing the upgrade.
- Check for required components and, if needed, install them. This ensures that Couchbase Server can be upgraded and migrates the existing data files.
- Perform the installation upgrade for your platform.